Peppers come from the Capsicum genus of plants, a member of the nightshade family like tomatoes. Peppers originated in the Americas and have become grown around the world for culinary uses.
Peppers are edible both raw and cooked. They are often diced into small pieces or roasted whole and stuffed with cheese or rice. They can be pickled, dried, or frozen. Peppers are often used to make jam, salsa, powders, and flakes. They are often added to salads, stews, soups, sauces, and salsas.
Types of Peppers
There are two main types of peppers called Bell Peppers and Chili Peppers.
Bell Peppers are also known as sweet peppers. The colors of these peppers include red, green, yellow, and sometimes orange. They are most often used in salads, atop pizzas, and for stuffing with other ingredients before being oven-baked.
Chili Peppers are sometimes known as ‘chilli peppers’. They are used around the world as a spice for adding heat to dishes. There are reported to be thousands of varieties of chili pepper and their heat is individually measured on the Scoville scale.
Varieties of Peppers
Whereas there are only two main types of pepper, there are in fact thousands of varieties of peppers. Especially chili peppers.
Popular Peppers –
Some of the most popular varieties of peppers include: Bell Peppers, Amarillo Peppers, Poblano Peppers, Jalapeño Peppers, and Chipotle Peppers.
Types of Hot Peppers –
- Can you freeze peppers without blanching?
- What to serve with stuffed poblano peppers?
- What to serve with stuffed peppers?
- Serrano Peppers Substitute
- Aleppo Peppers Substitute
- Peppadew Peppers Substitute
- Cubanelle Peppers Substitute
- Cayenne Peppers Substitute
- Fresno Peppers Substitute
- Guajillo Peppers Substitute
- Pasilla Peppers Substitute
- Anaheim Peppers Substitute
- Poblano Peppers Substitute
- Scotch Bonnet Peppers Substitute
- Red Pepper Flakes Substitute
- Piquillo Pepper Substitute
- Jalapeno Substitute
- Chipotle Pepper Substitute
- Habanero Pepper Substitute
Are peppers a fruit or vegetable?
Botanically speaking, peppers are a fruit. However, in culinary terms, they are accepted as a vegetable.
What foods are similar to peppers?
The most similar foods to peppers come from the nightshade family, which peppers are also a part of. This includes tomatoes, potatoes (excluding sweet potatoes), eggplant, and tomatillos.