Have you bought too many vanilla beans from the market and wondered: How long do vanilla beans last? In this instance, it would be handy to know more about vanilla beans and their expiration. So, it’s a good thing that you’ve found this article.
This pod-shaped fruit is used to infuse the vanilla flavor into your food. And this article will discuss how long these pods last and the best ways to store them.
How Long Do Vanilla Beans Last?
Vanilla beans age and mature over time and can go bad eventually. But how long do vanilla beans last, exactly? And how should you store them to ensure they last a little longer?
These pod-shaped fruits have a shelf life of 2 years when stored in an airtight container. However, if you want the most flavor out of the beans, you should consume them within 8 months. This way, you’ll get the best flavor and freshness out of these beans.
But remember never to store these beans in the fridge. Vanilla beans will go bad if they are dried out. And keeping them in the refrigerator will dry the moisture and potentially lead to mold growth. Therefore, refrigerating them would make them unusable.
The Best Way To Store Vanilla Beans
You need to avoid air and moisture when you store your vanilla beans. There are two ways to store these beans effectively.
1. Storing Vanilla Beans In Wax Paper
Here is how you can store your vanilla beans using wax paper:
- Take a piece of wax paper and wrap your vanilla bean pods in it.
- Place these wrapped pods in an airtight jar.
- Store this airtight jar in a dry and dark place at room temperature.
- To keep them fresh for longer, you must air the beans once a month. Take them out of the paper and leave them in the fresh air for approximately 10 minutes.
2. Storing Vanilla Beans in Alcohol
Follow these steps to store your vanilla beans using alcohol:
- Use a large glass jar and fill it with an inch of rum or vodka.
- Cut the vanilla pod to fit the jar if necessary.
- Add these beans to the jar.
- Cover it with an airtight lid and keep them in the refrigerator. The alcohol would prevent the beans from drying out.
- You can use them by pinching the beans and extracting the vanilla paste from the pod.
Vanilla beans can instantly add an aroma and flavor to your food. But they are pretty expensive, and buying them in bulk makes sense. In fact, you can use these beans for up to 2 years when stored properly in an airtight jar. Therefore, when asking, “How long do vanilla beans last?” remember that it all comes down to how the pods are stored.