Cheese is a popular dairy product used around the world for centuries. With hundreds of different types of cheese with a range of different textures and flavors, it is used in thousands of different recipes and dishes.
Made from casein and whey proteins from milk, cheeses are often derived from the milk of cows, sheep, goats, and buffalos.
What Are the Culinary Uses of Cheese?
Cheese is used for creating sauces, desserts, sandwiches, and garnishes, and is often melted over bread for toasties, pizzas, and similar.
Cheese is used in thousands of recipes including salads or as an accompaniment to various other dishes.
Types of Cheeses:
There are many different styles of cheese with a variety of flavors. The style and taste of cheese differ on where the milk comes from, the aging process, and the ingredients used such as herbs and spices.
- Hard cheese
- Soft cheese
- Semi-hard cheese
- Blue mould cheese
- White mould cheese
- Fresh cheese
- Goat cheese
There are many different popular kinds of cheese around the world including some well-known names like Mozzarella, Cheddar, Camembert, Parmesan, Red Leicester. The most well-liked ones are often from countries in Europe such as Italy, France, and England.
There are many occasions when you will need to find a replacement cheese when cooking or preparing a meal. Check out some of our articles to help you decide what to substitute for what and when.
- Pepper Jack Cheese Substitute
- Emmental Cheese Substitute
- Romano Cheese Substitute
- Oaxaca Cheese Substitute
- Provolone Cheese Substitute
- Kefalotyri Cheese Substitute
- Velveeta Cheese Substitute
- Cotija Cheese Substitute
- Pecorino Cheese Substitute
- Mascorpone Cheese Substitute
- Mizithra Cheese Substitute
- Raclette Cheese Substitute
- Kasseri Cheese Substitute
- Feta Cheese Substitute
- Burrata Cheese Substitute
- Taleggio Cheese Substitute
- Halloumi Cheese Substitute
- Saganaki Cheese Substitute
- Neufchatel Cheese Substitute
Interesting Facts About Cheese
- There are approximately around 2,000 varieties of cheese.
- Mozzarella is considered one of the most popular cheeses in the world.
- The United States produces the most cheese in the world annually, producing around 4275 tonnes of cheese a year.
- Hard cheeses have a longer shelf life than other cheeses.
- Cheese production can be dated back to 8000 BC.
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Cheese?
Cheese is naturally high in Calcium which can help prevent osteoporosis and encourages strong healthy bones. Most cheeses have a high-fat content and are naturally rich in protein.
Vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B-12
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin D