Flour is a powder that is made from grain. It is used in baking and cooking to make dough which can be eaten.
Flour can be made by grinding grains like wheat, corn, or rice to produce a fine powder. Flour is usually made with some type of flour milling machine. There are many different types of flour depending on what type of grain it comes from.
What are the culinary uses of flour?
Flour is a binder of other ingredients. It is also the most common ingredient in baked goods, so it’s important to know what are the culinary uses of flour.
There are many uses of flour that are not related to baking, such as using it as a thickener or to create a roux. Flour sometimes gets cooked with butter, milk, and/or vegetables for sauces and gravies.
What are the different varieties of flour?
Flour is a key ingredient in the baking process to make dough. It is made from grains such as wheat, barley, rye or corn. Flours are categorized according to how much they have been ground and the type of grain used as a base.
Check out our flour substitutes articles:
- Substitutes for millet flour
- Alternatives for spelt flour
- Cassava flour substitutes
- Substitutes for potato flour
- Alternatives for rice flour
- Wheat flour substitutes
- Substitutes for coconut flour
- Alternatives for sweet rice flour
- Soy flour substitutes
- Substitutes for brown rice flour
- Alternatives for buckwheat flour